You guys go play outside often. You have babies and kids of all ages. And you're very conscientious of the food you eat and the products you use on your precious family. That's why I asked YOU for your sunscreen recommendations!
The Environmental Working Group (EWG) says the safest way to prevent skin cancer is to stay covered up! Wear a sun hat, sunglasses, shirt, and find some shade. But we all know getting in the direct sun can't be avoided all together, and heck, I crave getting those rays directly on my skin (for short periods of time) it just feels so good!
Three things to look for in a Sunscreen
1. Look for sunscreens that have Zinc Oxide and/or Titanium Oxide as the active ingredient. These are MINERAL SUNSCREENS and they rate high in the EWG ratings. "They are stable in sunlight, offer a good balance between protection from the two types of ultraviolet radiation (UVA and UVB) and don’t often contain potentially harmful additives."
2. Spf 30-50 offers adequate protection, even for those people most sensitive to sunburns. EWG research has found that an SPF rating higher than 50 can be misleading.
3. You want a sunscreen that protects from both UVA and UVB sun rays.
Three things we should be avoiding in a Sunscreen
1. As handy as SPRAY SUNSCREENS can be with squirmy little bodies, they are actually not as effective as lotions. Most people don't get enough actually on the skin, and there is a risk of inhaling the sunscreen which is harmful for your lungs.
2. Similarly, the experts say that people who use STICK SUNSCREENS are often not getting enough of the sunscreen onto the skin to adequately protect against burning.
3. Harmful ingredients. Here are 3 ingredients you want to avoid:
Retinyl Palmitate is a form of Vitamin A and can harm your skin.
Oxybenzone is a hormone disruptor and allergen.
Methyliosthiazolinones (MI) was named skin allergen of the year in 2013 by the The American Contact Dermatitis Society.
Your 15 Favorite Sunscreens
BADGER spf 30, mineral based, pediatrician approved. Water resistant.
HONEST spf 50, mineral based, ideal for babies and sensitive skin. Water resistant.
ALBA spf 30, mineral based, fragrance free. Water resistant.
BEAUTY COUNTER spf 30, mineral based, good for the whole family. Water resistant.
BABYGANICS spf 50, mineral based, oraganic ingredients. Water resistant.
SUNBUM spf 30, mineral based, naturally sourced ingredients. Water resistant.
THINKBABY spf 50, mineral based, passes Whole Foods premium care requirements. Water resistant.
SURFACE PRODUCTS spf 30, mineral based, hypoallergenic. Water resistant.
BLUE LIZARD BABY spf 30, mineral based, Australian made. Bottle changes color in the sun!
AIRBONNE spf 30, mineral based, made with vitamins and botanicals. Water resistant.
CALIFORNIA BABY spf 30, mineral based, award winning. Water resistant.
NO-AD spf 50, mineral based, Skin Cancer Foundation Recommended. Water resistant.
NEUTRAGENA BABY spf 60, mineral based, won't sting eyes. Water resistant.
ALL GOOD PRODUCTS spf 30, mineral based, made with organic chamomile. Water resistant.
COCO BEE NATURALS spf 30, mineral based, only 3 ingredients. Water resistant.
I was so surprised and pleased to see the numerous readers who use strictly oils with or without mixing them with zinc oxide as a natural sun protection. There were so many variations that I plan on doing a bit of research and sharing a list of these options soon!
If this subject interests you and you like to get all the scientific details, I highly suggest browsing the Environmental Working Group website. It is so informative and quite interesting. You can also download their 2017 Guide to Safer Sunscreens.
For those days you accidentally stay out longer in the sun than you intended, or forgot a spot with your sunscreen you may want to try out one of these soothing Natural Sunburn Relief Rememdies.
Early life sunburns are worse in the skin cancer battle. We really want to make sure we're protecting our kids and avoiding sunburns. So grab a hat and some sunscreen and go find your adventure!